I have a Jones fracture - 2 weeks old. I assume the protocol for treatment is cast and then if that doesn't work surgery. What are the statistics for success in both? Not knowing the answer ( and being an engineer) I'm leaning towards surgery sooner than later because I fear the success ratio for cast only (given a reasonable time like three months) is low. So why not opt for surgery earlier?
I believe that it is generally held that casting of a Jones fracture has a 70 or so percent success rate and surgery perhaps a 90 percent success rate. On the other hand, most surgical procedures present greater risks of other problems occuring than does conservative treatment. I would think that if you have concerns regarding the method selected by your doctor, you should have a discussion with him/her about his/her reasons for chosing whatever method was chosen.
I have a Jones fracture right now as well. I have actually done it 3 times now. Twice in my left foot and just recently in my right foot. I have had surgery twice. Once on each foot. I got surgery the first time on both feet. I recommend the surgery. There is only a 5-10% chance that the bone will break again. I guess I have fallen into that category. I am 2 weeks removed from surgery on my right foot now. It has been healing well and depending on how your bone heals. Will depend on how long you have to be on crutches. The time frame is going to be 6-8 weeks non-weight barring. Followed by 2-4 weeks walking in a walking cam (walking boot). Again my opinion is surgery since I have had success with it. I will also let you know that I am a collegiate athlete and did all 3 times during football practice. I don't know any places in LA. Sorry but I do know of a good surgeon around in NW Iowa that has done both my surgeries.
Well I suffered a JOnes fracture on 7/10/10 I went to the orthopedic specialist and was placed on a walking boot, I have to say I felt great for the moment I started using the boot, I went for a follow up 2 weeks after my injury to make sure the bone hadn't shift, lucky for me the x-ray showed that everyhting look good, at that time I was told by my Doctor to remove my walking boot after a month and to try to walk with my regular shoes, well I done it for the week and now Im finding myself with a very sore and painful foot,sometimes I feel Im back to square one and still hurts. After reading this Im afraid I'll required surgery and all that comes with that. NOw Im back wearing my boot 24/7 I hope I didn't make things worse by listening to my doctor = (
I posted a couple of weeks ago with a question about my 5th metatarsal fracture ("I hope that you can help me. I fractured the 5th metatarsal 3-5 weeks ago but I just found out about the fracture this week when I sought out medical consultation") and the information that you gave me was very helpful - thank you! I have another question for you, as my doctor is out of town at the moment and I would be interested in your opinion on this, if I can provide enough information for you to answer it.
I found out that I have a Jones fracture of the 5th metatarsal of my right foot and that it probably occured on 12/10/08. It has not healed, and x-rays taken on 1/20/09 and 1/28/09 show evidence "of the fracture line is "nearly obscured by sclerosis and callus formation" due to healing." The fracture is transverse, but does not completely cross the bone; i.e. it is on the right side of the bone and goes approx. 1/2 way across the bone. The orthopaedic surgeon whom I saw recommended surgery as the only viable treatment at this point, and my family physician confirmed this when I went back to her for a second opinion. When I expressed my desire to explore options for conservative treatment of the injury, my family physician said that while she could put me in a cast with crutches (for non-weight bearing therapy) that the chances of the fracture healing at this point without surgery were probably less than 50%. I opted for surgery (screw placement to secure the fracture site) and had it scheduled for today.
Unfortunately, my three young children were diagnosed with strep last night and as they are contagious and the babysitter is sick, I could not leave them with anyone so I had to postpone my surgery. It will be at least two weeks before I can have the surgery, and I wonder if there would be any benefit in immobilizing the fracture in a cast and using crutches to follow a protocol of non-weight bearing between now and the surgery date. I also wonder if it would be helpful to have x-rays taken a few days before the surgery date, just to see if there have been any positive changes on the x-ray - this could be done whether I follow my current treatment protocol (wearing a walking cast or ortho. shoe and not walking on my foot without one of them) or if I wore a cast with crutches.
Currently, this thing hurts like the dickens and although I did find a walking cast (this makes sitting up tolerable, at least) and an appropriately-fitted comfortable orthopaedic shoe, the fracture site just hurts if I get off of the couch and have to move around on it. Driving is really painful, and I wonder if it would feel better if I didn't walk on it at all. Any information that you could provide me with would be helpful.
In my opinion, you would be terribly unwise to act on any advice from persons who may or may not be qualified to treat a historically complicated problem such as yours, and even if they were, could not possible know the details and nuances of your situation sufficient to make any definitive recommendations. The danger in any professional offering specific advice in situations where he or she does not have the necessary details of the case is that the patient may and probably will act upon them out of frustration, and such actions may well best inappropriate and worse, harmful. The dangers of a non-professional offering such advice should be obvious to you.
As a pediatrist, I have extensive knowledge in this medical condition. I would recommend amputation.
thank you for the information, your article is very good. I am glad to find your website. the article was fantastic, thanks a lot
kudos! A trustworthy blog, thanks for putting an effort to publish this information. very informative and does exactly what it sets out to do. thumbs up! :)
love it! very interesting topics, I hope the incoming comments and suggestion are equally positive. Thanks for sharing information that is actually helpful.
I am a student at the Overlake School in Redmond, Washington.